Home

 > Company

 > Press

 > Press archive

125 Years Dentaurum

A Journey through Time: From Laboratory to Global Dental Company

03/01/2011

125 Years Dentaurum

When the dental technician Arnold Biber placed an advertisement announcing the opening of his laboratory in Pforzheim in October 1886, no one could have foreseen that this was the start of a dental company with operations all over the world.

At the age of 32 years Arnold Biber opened a laboratory in Pforzheim. The goldsmith from Switzerland worked hard to develop suitable filling materials and alloys for the manufacture of dentures. He was unique in his understanding of how to fabricate gold crowns and wrought gold fillings of outstanding quality.

After the death of Arnold Biber, Dr. Fritz Winkelstroeter purchased the company in 1908 and it continued to operate under the familiar name of Arnold Biber. The company started the mass production of complete dental practice fittings, dental chairs, drills and instrument cases. New production facilities in Karlsruhe-Durlach and Lössnitz in the Erzgebirge region of Germany were added to the original establishment in Pforzheim. The company grew fast and expanded beyond the borders of Germany, becoming internationally successful. It partially merged with the Ritter Dental Company, Rochester, NY, USA, in 1924, to manufacture dental equipment. Ritter-Biber AG was founded with more than 1000 employees, but the economic crisis of the 1920s caused great difficulties for the company, resulting in the sale of the equipment manufacturing division. Precision manufacturing and chemical production in Pforzheim remained the property of Dr. Fritz Winkelstroeter.

In 1935 Hans Peter Winkelstroeter took over the company in a time of economic crisis with his wife Lieselotte. Gold was scarce, and different materials were sought for dentistry. The introduction of non-precious metal dental alloys under the name remanit® laid the foundation for the remanium® alloys, which are now used worldwide. The factory in Pforzheim was totally destroyed shortly before the end of the Second World War, and in October 1945 Dentaurum had only 29 employees. The Winkelstroeter family rebuilt the company over the following years and in 1953 they were able to move into new production facilities in Pforzheim.

In 1968 Jochen Peter Winkelstroeter became Managing Director and with his wife Ulla managed the company. With investments and their entrepreneurial talent the company grew in the following years along with the general world economy. The rapid expansion of the company meant that the facilities in Pforzheim were soon inadequate. A new factory for production, research and administration in Ispringen near Pforzheim was opened in 1968. Dentaurum had 110 employees at this time. In the following years the company grew steadily to the current modern industrial operation.

The appointment of Axel Winkelstroeter and Mark Stephen Pace into the management team in 1994 prepared the ground for a generation change. The acquisition of the implant division of Cerasiv in 1995 added the TIOLOX® implant system to the company‘s range of products. In the same year the Dentaurum Group acquired the French company Sofraced S.r.l., a manufacturer of dental ceramics – known today as Dentaurum Ceramics. The Centre for Dental Communication also opened its doors in Ispringen in 1996 with a wide range of courses for implantologists, orthodontists, dental technicians and dental assistants, which has been successively expanded over the following years. In 2004 the new ecologically designed administration and logistics building was opened with state-of-the-art warehousing and materials handling technology in the logistics centre.

The company name was changed from Dentaurum J. P. Winkelstroeter KG to Dentaurum GmbH & Co. KG in 2010. The fourth generation, Mark Stephen Pace, Axel Winkelstroeter and Petra Pace, now controls the owner-managed family company. With over 650 employees across the world, subsidiaries in 8 countries and a unique range of products in the field of dental prosthetics, orthodontics and implantololgy, the Dentaurum-Group is one of the leading dental companies in the world.



For more information please contact:
DENTAURUM
GmbH & Co. KG
Turnstr. 31
75228 Ispringen
Tel. +49 (0)7231 / 803-0
Fax: +49 (0)7231 / 803-295
Email: info@dentaurum.de
 Back
Recommend this article:  



DENTAURUM worldwide

Worldwide
DENTAURUM GmbH & Co. KG

Address: Turnstraße 31, 75228 Ispringen, Deutschland

Phone: +49 7231 803-0, Fax: +49 7231 803-295

E-Mail: info@dentaurum.de

This website uses cookies for the best possible delivery of our offer. Detailed information is available in our Privacy Policy


zum Online-Shop

zur Bestellplattform

Verfügbare Produkte:

  • Modelldruck
  • Retainer 3D